Monday, July 12, 2010

Core Strength or Six Pack?

Time and time again, I have been asked, "how can I get rid of my belly fat." The truth is that most of us will have some "belly fat" no matter what we do myself included. Being in the fitness world for several years now I am a big advocate of core strength. The "six pack" we all dream about are nice to have especially during the summer time, however, from an overall fitness and strength perspective I think core strength should be your focus. Our "core muscles" are like the foundation of a house. It is the link between your upper and lower body. The core includes the muscles in your hips, pelvis, lower back, and trunk. Often times, they are neglected because people typically will focus on doing sit ups and crunches.

5 Challenging Core Exercises

1. Plank
2. Prone tuck in & out (stability ball needed)
3. Alternating leg lifts in prone position with a stability ball
4. Wood chops (medicine ball needed)
5. Leg lifts in supine position (lying flat on your back)

No comments:

Post a Comment